Sunday, December 7, 2008

Kerry Wright EDU7666 Journal Entries
Blog 8 Dr. Signer

Topic Heading

For this discussion, I went on the discussion boards under the Teacher.net, chat boards (reading first) from 11/3/08- 11/28/08. The posting was initiated by a teacher that took over a class after the previous teacher had to leave. This teacher had a real hard time handling the class. The teacher posted the comments under “desperate”. The class was out of control and the parents were also difficult.

All of the responses to this posting suggested a positive reinforcement system. Other teacher suggested investing in popcorn, stickers, and other little rewards. With this plan the teacher gives a reward for behaviors like sitting in you sit and raising your hand. The rewards would be given immediately. Then as the class improved the distribution of the rewards would lessen. This is expensive approach but all the contributors of the discussion agreed that it would be worth the expense.

One of the contributors also suggested that the new teacher redefine rules for the class. Start over like it was the first day of school. I thought that was a good idea. However this contributor also made a negative comment about these students even through the teacher didn’t know them directly. This concerned me because teachers have a big impact on child’s life. I feel it is important that teachers do not express or have negative views of students. This could have a serious consequence on the child.

Questions I posed with responses

This discussion did reinforce my belief in a positive reinforcement system because all the contributors, including myself, have used it and found it to be effective. I also found it comforting that another teacher finds the little prizes to be expensive. I agree with that because I do find I spend a lot of money on the reward box in my classroom. But this is a system that works so it is worth the money.
The desperate teacher did write back that she found a system that was working. However, she did not disclose what the procedure was even after I posted a question to that teacher.

Responses to other questions

I chose this question because I noticed that it was under a new subject on the discussion board. The new subject was reading first, which is the program I have to follow at my job. The issue of the discussion was a classroom management problem rather than a reading first issue. But effective classroom management is extremely important for any classroom. So, I found this discussion a helpful reminder of effective teaching.

Last posting

All of my discussions were on the discussion board chat room. This is an effective tool for teachers for several reasons. Teaching is an isolating job where you are in a room all day with children and no other adult. Sometimes you are also in a school where the other teachers are not friendly or helpful. Discussion boards are a way to reach out to other adults for ideas. It also gives you a wide range of opinions and ideas because the network system is country wide. Therefore, you have more selection of ideas.

On the other hand, you are also exposed to some unusual comments and views. I did come across some comments on the discussion board which I was not comfortable reading. Also, the information could be incorrect because there is no formal evaluation of the information being posted.

Overall, I do feel that discussion boards are an effective tool to help teachers and parents with educational issues. I posted a question about the expectations of second graders with regards to the seven continents. One of student’s parent complained about the expectations I had for students regarding the seven continents last Friday. Even though I have completed this project with this posting, I will use the discussion board for this issue.

4 comments:

SJUPROF said...

HI Kerry:

I always look forward to reading your blog as your topic summaries are interesting and enlightening. What are leap frog pads? I almost always learn from what you have written.

It is commendable that you immediately apply what you learned to your teaching. Nice to know that as a result of this experience you will be recruiting the help of speech pathologists for their input on students with reading difficulties. In some cases, this may be critical.

You wrote that you learned that your personal situations can help with the professional situation. Probably the reverse is true too. How wonderful that you were able to empathize with that parent who posted on the chat board. It appears this chat board is a place where you experience give and take on a personal and professional level.

On the number 8, the last one!!

Dr. S

SJUPROF said...

HI Again:

I did not see the heading with content: Useful information for your teaching in the future.



Last Posting:

a. What you would tell others when joining a teacher listserv, discussion board or Blog?

b. How the experience compared to your expectations?

Please add and also specify what you wrote as your response to the question about classroom management.

Dr. S

Kerry said...

Dr S,
I added this to the last posting. I am gald you enjoy my postings. It was a fun way to communicate.


Kerry Wright EDU7666 Journal Entries
Blog 8 Dr. Signer

Topic Heading

Last Posting

I would recommend the use of discussion boards, teacher listserv and blog as effective tools to get ideas. As stated before teaching can be isolating and these are wonderful tools to use in order to get ideas, constructive feedback, and feel connected to other teachers. I got interesting feedback and suggestions with regards to the seven continents.

When I first started the discussion boards I was overwhelmed and thought I would never use it. However, after I had report card night I was glad I had this tool to ask for support and ideas. This is a good tool to vent your emotions and improve your teaching

Kerry said...

Dr. S,
Rearding my question to th other teacher, the techer never responded. I wanted to know what procedure she used that worked for the class.
Kerry